Friday, May 8, 2015

Steak and Shrimp...

Two of my favorite foods that go from prep to table in no time.  A large steak entree served on a carving board is a trendy presentation at some pubs and steakhouses.  At Bliss Miniatures, the carved porterhouse steak and grilled shrimp is a meal for two, served on a beautiful figured maple platter. Spicy cocktail sauce is served in a natural seashell as a condiment for the shrimp.  This piece is presently not in my possession and I apologize that the photo, taken in great haste with my smart phone, is not optimal; but you get the picture :^)

The steak slices and bone are textured on each surface except the underside, which was glued to the platter.  I made the shrimp skewers by splitting a toothpick lengthwise into quarters and gently sanding a quarter by hand until l /32" (approximately 1mm) in diameter and pointed on one end.  Finally, the blunt end is trimmed to the proper length.  Takes less than 5 minutes.  Tip: Choose a toothpick with a smooth grain versus one with a rough surface.  A rough surface grain will continue through the toothpick, causing splintering and breakage during sanding.  The skewers withstood bending to a slight arc with moderate pressure and typical handling, including threading uncured and cured polymer clay shrimp.

Turned figured maple platter by Thomas Saunders.  Shell by Mother Nature.  All else by me.

My inspiration...

Photo courtesy of Epicurious

Photo courtesy of Sunset Magazine

Restaurant serving board...

Photo courtesy of The Breslin, NYC

Thanks for reading...

7 comments:

  1. Okay, I am now convinced that you have perfected a shrinking machine and this is real food that you have shrunk. You have a fantastic eye for picking out the smallest detail =0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't start out that way. I was shocked to learn that I needed photos to see the detail in stuff I've been eating all my life! Making minis made me slow down the pace, look around and appreciate :^)

      I can't get over those floors (like the staircase) in your town house, gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. Again devine detail Alison ..i especially love the tiny shell with sauce in it completes it beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tony :^) I was astounded by the detail and iridescence of the shell close up. And to think I had that little beauty tucked away in storage for so long!

      Delete
  3. I actually had to click to make the picture bigger. Even then I could not see anything that would convince me the shrimp weren't real food! they were true to life down to their little tails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those shrimp were fiddly buggers! So happy you like :^)

      Delete
  4. Impresionante el realismo que has logrado!!! Perfecto!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete