Monday, May 7, 2012

A Major Mini Milestone

Several posts ago, I mentioned that I'd later reveal more about an intense project I was working on.  That project involved my application for Artisan recognition with the IGMA (International Guild of Miniature Artisans).

Those close to me know that I can be a perfectionist and procrastinator; both difficult, stress-inducing attributes, and more so in a scenario as this.  Five examples of work were required for evaluation.  "Perfectionist me" also required that all pieces be new, one-of-a-kind pieces, and considered food items never made before.  "Procrastinator me" couldn't decide exactly what to create...oy.  The viennoiserie/petite dejeuner was an early pick and done with enough time to spare but the other four...

It never fails that I do my best under stress.  Everything fell into place in the end.

The table was not included in the submission.


Gorgeous soapstone platter (looks like water jade!) turned by Thomas Saunders.

Borrowed the pedestal platter I gave to my mom and kept it :)  Commissioned a similar replacement with Tom. 



Evaluations took place this past weekend.  And today, I'm honored to have been confirmed as an IGMA Artisan!!!!

My heartfelt thanks to Thomas Saunders, Kiva Atkinson and Cindy Teh, whose friendship and support are priceless.  Also, many thanks to Misty Barth, Artisan Selection Chair, her Committee and the IGMA Board of Trustees for their time and effort invested in the evaluation process.  Visit the IGMA website here.

Last, but not least, thanks to all who journey along with me on this mini food adventure.  I enjoy the company :)))

Wishing all a good week...

25 comments:

  1. Congratulations! It is not so easy like many people think; it takes perseverance as well as talent. Yay for you for following through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan :)) You're right, it's definitely not easy! And my shoulders and eyesight will ditto that, LOL.

      Delete
  2. I don't usually post comments on blogs, but...wow. Your creations are perfect in every detail, a feast for the eyes. The illusion of eatability is profound and the items are laid out and photographed as if you were food stylist! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Kate! Your comments are music to my ears :))))

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! A wonderful achievement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many congratulations to you Alison!
    It’s a new and cheerful milestone. :)

    Peiwen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Peiwen!!! I tried to leave a comment on your blog many times yesterday and today but the window would not open :( Congratulations, wishing you great success with your book and at the SIMP!!!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations, Alison! Well-deserved recognition! Still lusting after your Laduree wedding cake.

    Sophia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thanks, Sophia! So glad you stopped by. Also, many thanks for the props in your post!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations! Very well deserved! Your pastries are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathi! Glad you like the pastries...I love the edible versions :)

      Delete
  8. My most sincere congratulations, your work deserves it.
    Hugs
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks. Teresa!!! I'm most honored to join you, Kathy and the other Artisans. Your words will be kept close to my heart :)))
      (((Hugging you back)))
      Alison

      Delete
  9. Alison, how in the world did I miss this fabulous news!!

    Congratulations, I knew they would accept you, that was a home run from the beginning !!!

    I am so happy for you and honored that I have your work in my collection.

    All my trips to the museums as a child have paid off, I am a connoisseur when it comes to miniatures and you are on the top of list.

    Big Hugs
    Athena xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Athena, it's so easy to miss stuff...there's so much going on! You know me, I can barely keep up with anything online.

      Dear friend, you never fail to make me feel that all I work for and struggle with is worth it. Means a lot to me...you will always have a place in my heart!

      (((Hugging you back)))
      Alison

      Delete
  10. Alison, I already told you in my Blog (when I realized you were Alison Shibata), but I had to come to your Blog and tell you again. Congratulations! Your post sounded like I could have written it myself. Perfectionist, procrastinator, and even the first piece done on time, but the other four not so much.

    You absolutely deserve Artisan status and I am so happy for you! Yeah!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carolyn!!! I think the mom in me has had a hand in shoving the "procrastinator me" aside so I will finish what I start, lol.

      I'm thrilled to pieces to be included in the Artisan class of 2012 and equally thrilled for you, creator of plant perfection :))))

      Delete
  11. Alison!!! You never even told me!!!!!!!! WOOOHOOO!!!!!! SO thrilled for you, my friend!!!! Beautiful pieces, and now I'll do a post ;-)!!! So well deserved, buddy!!

    ReplyDelete